[7.24] Kog' Maw In Depth: The Mouth of the Abyss O~W~O (ADC)
Updated3 months ago
Summoner Spells Back to Top
New Runes Back to Top
Abilities Back to Top
Items Back to Top
Matchups Back to Top
Caitlyn has always been a pet peeve for many ADCs . . . who aren't playing her.
Even with , a good Cait will set up the minion wave to her advantage to freely poke you with her long ranged autos.
Cait's main weakness is attack speed and when she misclick or auto at the wrong time. Your support or jungle/mid can set up easy gank if she does not keep track of their cooldowns/location.
Play near your turret, unless she is mismanaging the wave.
Recommended: Doran's Shield -> Core items -> GA/QSS (traps, net)/ LW or Wits End
- Like , lost which is a huge loss in his damage due to Draven being auto reliant in a similar fashion as Kalista.
- the biggest lane bully of all the ADCs, one kill may be all he needs to never lose 2v2
- however, his biggest weakness is playing under your turret to a chain cc + jungle gank coming [Losing any chance he has at snowballing the lane to a heavy 2v2 favor]
- once he dies once with 50+ stack, he loses 70% of his stacks making his comeback gold kill very lackluster as it was before
-a Draven without a gold lead is a useless Draven [so long as you play laning phase passive and smart] that can never hope to match you in DPS, other then sustaining with natural strong life stealing in Draven build/kit
- recommended to go doran's shield->hurricane->botrk->guinsoo's
- Ezreal biggest spike is when both Kog and Ezreal have not bought yet, he has the mobility to chase you down if you are not near your turret with enemy jungler and lane bully you. [ This is further emphasize with , allowing Ezreal to purchase random item spikes]
- as item purchases continue Ezreal must have while you can just keep building Attack Speed towards your 3 Core Items.
- Ezreal CD early is ~15s on average simply shove or bully him hard while his gap closer in on CD [hit on champ lower CD by 1 second]
- Jinx wants to bully the hell out of kogmaw early, so long as she has some extra ad item her Q ranged rockets are a major threat to your hp pool
however, her auto is very slow in this form without 3 short autos
- simply play around the minion wave,hopefully with a good shielding/AP supp, and jungler. Without AD jinx wave clear is almost even to Kog'Maw.
- recommended: doran's blade/guinsoo->runan->botrk-> situational items
- watch out for her reset movement speed to chase you down from getting a kill or assist.
- Kalista is the strongest lane bully from last season carrying over to the preseason as well due to press the attack with her rend ability
- it is highly recommended to not trade with Kalista at all due to her rend ability able to reset off minions, and focus heavily on wave clearing -> jungle assistance
- you can mess up her passive easily with your slow trail, possibly forcing rend on CD and making her feel clunky
- at 6 Kalista 2v2 threat evolves due to her R as a peel and initiation tool watch out for that ability and enemy jungle when her ult is available
-recommended: dorans' blade->runan->guinsoo->botrk
- MF is a strong laning ability that when MF tries to combo with her Q will put Kog to half HP instantly.
- MF prevents you from shoving due to her laning presenceand her passive just has no downtime as long as she keeps reapplying it by switching targets
- Due to her innate ability to be a lane bully, let MF push towards your side of the map/turret, and set up a gank from your JG/Mid
- Twitch and Kog'Maw are very similar, however twitch is ult reliant while you are W reliant. Keep track of Twitch's as that as his best chance to pop off and spam .
-Twitch has a very poor laning phase compare to Kog however his stealth is a force to be wreck en with because he can affects other lane by roaming to them or even surprising you in lane. In general if someone is picked off, be careful of fighting a Twitch in a numbers disadvantage.
- Let your team know if twitch is MIA, when he should be in lane after purchasing or suddenly disappear for no reason as he is in lane.
- Twitch melts enemies by AOE while Kog melts single target faster with minor AOE take note of this.
-recommended: dorans' blade->guinsoo->runan->botrk->situational items
All in all this match up heavily relies on the supports as well as the "better" jungler, whichever ADC gets punish more will survive the laning phase and can carry in mid to late game.
Support Synergy/Ratings and Support Match-up Back to Top
Here is a support synergy rating, focusing with Kog'Maw specifically.
[These will be the most common supports you see in patch 7.24 as well as some common off meta picks]
- Not only that, they also have CC's in some way (some more then other) to peel for Kog as well
- Lastly, these supports are ranged and are consider "lane dominant", allowing Kog to have a smooth laning phase to the point where Kog can buy his Core Items and " 1 v 5".
- As of 7.24, tank supports are still very strong, due to this fact poke and heal focused supports cannot help Kog as much due to the risk of a good engage from tank supports.
- and are the major keystones supporting these tank supports. While is a key rune for tank supports to dominate lane with free sustain.
- Since Kog cannot be buffed by these champs to make his optimized, they are instead create a pressure in lane that forces enemy ADC/Bot Lane to be more cautious trying to punish Kog's early game (laning phase).
- These supports are close to S but don't make the cut because they either aren't tanky enough, mobile, or synergize well with Kog
- These are great/ok supports make no mistakes, however how this tier of support benefit/synergize with Kog isn't "optimal"
- For example: and are good all in champs during laning phase. One is tankier the other has more dmg for the situations. However, Kog wants to focus on farming in order to secure his items in a safe manner.
- A smart Kog does not want to lose 2v2 in any way [hp pool, bad trades] and get jungle pressure [lee sin,etc] -> trying to avoid bad fights is definitely a very smart strategy for Kog in order to abuse his on-hit item spikes.
- With these poke heavy support (squishy), you can bully 2v2 hard, but make one mistake Kog's laning phase is not going to end well.
- Jungle also exist and when Kog combine with these support are in lane together, expect to get ganked or even camped.
Support Match-ups [When playing against]
- Here is the ratings for enemy supports that will make your laning phase from hard to easy mode. [Laning phase to Mid Game]
- These supports are either poke heavy oriented or extremely strong engage that can lock Kog down
- Supports that can poke with mobility can make you miss or waste a lot of duration of when trading vs them in 2v2
- Supports that can poke with out mobility ( ), are still bad match-ups versus Kog because of their innate damage and "zoning" potential [From CSing/Trading with ADC/etc].
- Tank supports/engage supports listed in the "Hard Section", are tough match-ups versus Kog due to how easy it is for them to set up ganks for their allied jungler, as well as zoning from CSing [especially if you are low on HP].
- These supports are poke oriented or strong engage, however they lack in their strengths to an extent. [not as strong poke, not as strong engage]
- For example has very strong poke, however she has a very low HP pool and mobility early on in the game (especially laning).
- Another example is a solid engage, however if misses his he will leave his ADC vulnerable to Kog or has to trade unreliably with his autos or .
- These supports tend to favor setting up a jungle gank from their jungler, or even a countergank depending on if these supports played to chunk Kog's HP (counter gank, Kog is near his turret) or play defensive (Kog is closer towards their side of the map).
- These supports kits is not in their favor versus a Kog
- They are extremely mobile or extremely tanky in most cases which doesn't matter versus Kog [Need poke/Solid Engage]
- For example 's makes him take a ton on damage once Kog has . This is because Braum absorbs all the bolts from the item if it is procing. is very tanky however makes it hard for him to secure his trading/all ins/gank set up.
- Another example is who is extremely mobile, however if Rakan messes up Rakan is just extremely mobile if he doesn't ht these abilities. Rakan laning phase depends on his ADC, however and good side stepping enable Kog to feel confident laning versus him.
- Lastly, are minor poke champions because of their short range or short mobility. Nothing to worry about unless enemy jungler is near.
Tips and Tricks Back to Top
Abilities (Q,W,E,R) Tips and Tricks
- is an auto reset, easier to notice without having your due to Q's short range and travel time. Knowing how to use to auto reset is crucial in winning laning phase/early trading.
- shreds 20~28% resistance for 4 SECONDS, just getting this ability of to anyone trying to stop you from doing damage with will melt their resistance and of course their HP. Your teammates can also benefit hugely from the defensive stats being shredded from your opponent.
- is Kog's main source of dmg and gives him a significant auto attack range boost depending on the ability level (630/650/670/690/710). Kog's default auto attack range is 500, be very careful when trying to last hit or hit champions without your W up. Kog has 8 seconds to make use of his W with an approx down time scaling from 12 seconds to 8 seconds when maxed.
- , is Kog's only form of CC. Without this ability, KogMaw cannot secure dmg by himself/trade during laning phase. Make sure to have available with up for team-fights or all ins in lane.
- , the main tip to this ability is learning the range as it scales from 6/11/16. I recommend using abilities' indicator range in your key-bind settings in game. As you play with the range indicator, eventually you will learn how to predict how your enemies will path when trading/teamfighting/ trying to run low hp/ etc. and hit a lot of . You may even secure kills with this ability, however the main issue with doing this is you are spamming too much and it can OOM you. [ The more R in rapid succession increases mana cost]
Avoid throwing when enemy ADCs try to CS as your stacks will go up too much, and ADCs tend to sustain easily during laning phase, unless there is heavy trading.
Match ups Notes (Tips/Tricks)
- In general, Kog'Maw loses lane. Trying to abuse enemy bot lane in 2v2 can be a common strategy but you risk getting gank (due to your range with up) . Overall focusing on wave clearing and not hitting the turret early on in the game is a good strategy to reduce the chance(s) enemy jungler may hover your lane.
- Champions that can deny Kog from pushing out due to Poke/Mobility are a major issue in patch 7.24
- If Kog cannot get CS gold or champion kills/assists, it will take him a long time to scale smoothly and get his items
- Do not be afraid to start Doran's Shield to counter this, rushing tier 1 boots, etc.
- Note the support and jungle match ups, do not rely on your support just because he/she works well with Kog -> Pay attention to their play style/patterns and adjust how to play accordingly
- Vice versa, you can let your support know you want to focus on farming and poking for free/ at a bare min -> prevents jungle ganks and poor 2v2ing
- Binding "auto attack move click to right click/your default mouse button for CSing to auto" is very helpful, make sure to turn on attack nearest to your cursor setting. You may also use a button like most masters+ players who were so used to using it on "A". (This was before Riot introduced the right click bind option)
- Especially when you have , make sure you are pathing forward/backward as needed depending on the flow of the team fights /2v2 bot lane. Avoid being out of range just barely as that is basically an auto cancel. [Avoid just standing still and autoing once you turn on because you only have 8 seconds up time, ~8 seconds downtime]
This happens if you are being stationary/standing still in crucial moments for poking/team fighting/laning, try to never have trying to walk forward when he was already autoing because you are standing still.
Of course, respect Crowd Control effects so you may have to give up a lot of duration or you can try and save it after the tanks go in on you/your team. [High risk/High reward concept]
- is best used during 2v2, when you know your opponents don't want to trade anymore and are pathing back. Predict how they path backwards accordingly. During teamfight is best used on the front line you are DPSing, remember the lower your enemies are the more damage does. [ In team-fights avoid on full HP back line, just wasting mana/ no damage ]
- Lastly, is a great skill shot at level 16 to scout out vision. Do not be afraid to waste this ability due to its shot cool down, watch out for making the mana cost too high from multiple casts.
Game play, Video Back to Top
Kog'Maw Strategy/Generic Gameplay
- Again, Kog is not a lane dominant champion due to his CD (downtime) and only lasting 8 seconds. Without a ton of attack speed the 8 second duration doesn't mean much.
- Analyze how your opponent laners play and focus on CSing, while putting decent pressure on their hp pool.
- If you fall behind (i.e: losing first turret very fast) try to let your team do the work and play to farm/push out lanes and rotating to your team
- offers 30% MS for 1 second and decent lifesteal, do not be afraid to give up to have more utility and a stronger laning phase vs hard match-ups.
- I have not talk about , it is a "punish" if the enemy team over commits to you and all of them lost a ton of HP during your . It is a "useless" passive, but hey more damage to your stats.
YouTube Game-play [Stats included]
About Me Back to Top
A little background about me.
I am Musics in the North American server and have been D1-Master tier since last season (7).
I have been playing league for approximately 7 years and have been diamond for 5 years. I have been coaching friends and people that request my help for free for around 3 years. I explain subjects related to League of Legends well, however I have no experience making video in general. I will try and learn how to make proper YouTube videos to make video version(s) of my guide(s) so stay tune for that!
I have been online throughout the League community vocally through many ways.
Here are some examples:
- r/ league of legends, summoner school, Zoe main, Nidalee main
- Online Tournaments [EVG, Battlefy, Invictus Gaming, ARAM tournmanets, Razer tournaments]
As of now I main Support/Jungle, but have tons of experience throughout my years playing all roles.
YouTube channel (WIP) Subscribe,Like,Try and View Ad(s)!~
My Twitter Follow, Tweet Me!~
NA League Summoner Name: