Dubstep Cho'Gath (AP Mid)
Cho'Gath Statistics for IIIIIIlI
Author's performance with Cho'Gath compared to the ranked average.
- Author Champion Statistics
- Guide Details
Summoner Spells Back to Top
- for obvious reasons. Works well with all your spells or your full combo. Or, you know, to escape ganks.
- for damage, and the bonus you get from your masteries. Also good if you miscalculate your ultimate - you can still get the kill without having to dive or overextend.
- not so good imho but if you like this spell and you feel this can help your bot lane or get back to lane/dragon faster then go for it. Your damage should still be fine late-game, but really helps you out a lot early or against certain champions.
Runes Back to Top
+4.95 ability power Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
+0.17 ability power per level Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
+0.41 mana regen / 5 sec. Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration
+0.87 magic penetration Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Marks: Flat magic penetration
- Ignores extra or base enemy Magic Resist
- All your abilities deal magical damage
- Scales well later into the game
- As you don't really need because of your ultimate
- Works similar/in addition to
Seals: Flat mana regen OR Flat/scaling Armor OR HP/lvl OR AP/lvl
- I usually go with mana regen, as it will allow me to harass/farm/escape easier early-game
- As , you don't really get that much from HP/lvl as you do with other casters
- Flat Armor is good against bruisers and AD casters, or even AD junglers. They are really strong early if you feel you need them, but don't scale as well into the later stages as scaling Armor/Health
Glyphs: Ability power per level OR Flat/scaling Magic Resist
- Glyphs are more important on than seals. Pick up Flat/scaling MR if you want to survive early or be more tanky/bruiser like late
- Ability power per level scales the best for , as his AP rates are fine, especially with his ultimate later on
Quintessences: Flat Ability power OR Movement speed
- Ability power makes you a beast early game, and you can harass/zone your opponent as early as level 2
- Movement speed is more common top lane, and especially with the buffs to base movement speed recently flat AP is really good
- Get movement speed if they have a strong jungler or you don't see kill potential in lane. Scales better into the later stages, and makes roaming easier for you. I still recommend these in some situations
Masteries Back to Top
Why a 9/21/0 setup
I started running this setup late in Season 2, and it builds on your already half-decent tankiness. (Passive for sustain, ultimate for Health). You're already semi-tanky, and Defensive masteries will just add to that. You don't need the damage from late Offensive, and I feel that adding onto your Health/CC reduction is too strong to give up.
Feel free to try out 21/9/0 for yourself, as you are still indeed an AP carry. I think it can be really strong in some situations because doesn't need much mana from Utility - at least if you get blue. I like to play more AP bruiser, and 9/21/0 has worked for me so far.
Abilities Back to Top
Max W first
- This is your main source of damage. The silence is also really strong because you'll most likely be up against a caster (AD or AP), and it even helps you survive ganks if you can silence their jungler/mid at the right time.
- Use this to harass/force your enemy out of lane, but don't waste your mana too much. If you see your enemy just neglects most of the damage, focus on farming and wait for your jungler even though has great zoning potential.
Max Q second
- Q is better than W in some ways. The reason is the mana cost stays the same, and AFAIK the damage is better. However, it is so much easier to land a W than a Q that even missing one will backfire.
- Get one point in this early just for the CC. Good for ganks (both ways).
Max E third
- You are not a jungler, and you do not need this ability to do more damage early. While the ability itself still does tons of damage (and scales good with your AP build), you simply won't be going in for the kill too often as your strength lies in sustaining and out-performing your opponent, rather than out-pushing (although this also works).
- TLDR; pushes your lane, W is better for champion damage, scales good with AP anyway to help you poke your opponent or even last hit.
Items Back to Top
- The most standard build opener, and the way you always used to play
- Safer from invades and/or ganks early
- Most potions out of the common openers
- are too good to give up on an AP mid. On you can skip later because your ultimate deals true damage, and will just help you compensate. I'd much rather have than , although you can do this if you want the Tenacity.
- was nerfed with the Preseason 3 December patch, but I feel this is still a really strong item on mid. You will in 95% of your games be up against an AP mid lane, and this is what makes you shine in lane. Every single stat is good for you, and you will be able to harass/zone so much with the mana regen that you don't even need a blue. OP. Skip this if their only AP player sucks and you're fed, or if you're against something else. Alternatives would be , but the lack of CDR makes it weak.
- is one of the best items for an AP mid, so why shouldn't you get one? You're most likely your team's main source of AP damage, so get this when you need to buff your damage.
- is a tricky item to get on mid lane. You most likely won't find yourself in a 1v1 situation with either of their AD damage sources early, but later this will allow you to frontline against their team even as an AP carry. Most teams today will either go a heavy AD damage top lane or an AD jungle in addition to their AD carry. If their mid is their only AP then this is when shines. All the stats are in your favor, and it's one of the best sources of Armor or CDR at this point. Also: get INSTEAD OF if you're against an AD mid like . They synergize really well as the gives you the mana you need and the CDR, and is good early and gives you AP.
- is good if you didn't get your , but their team still has some AP damage. Good item in general if your team doesn't have it and you benefit from the MR. You can also get this later if you don't know what to build even if you have and the game is not won yet.
- is/was one of the best items in the game, and it is even better if you are ahead. Synergizes well with the extra health from your ultimate, and makes you tanky in addition to your supreme damage if you're fed. I wouldn't get this if I was behind and still needed my other items, but generally you can get this after your core if you find yourself being focused. Alternatives are .
- gives a ton of AP, and the active has its moments. Get this if you're familiar with this item, or you find yourself not really needing the . Skip this item if most of their damage is AP, as also gives you armor.
- is good on any AP carry, but you're , and you're more of a bruiser than most AP mids. Another thing to note is that your ultimate deals true damage and won't be affected by magic penetration in any way, shape or form. I usually don't build this item, but it will bump up the damage on your other spells significantly when your enemy stacks MR.
- used to be a viable choice on AP , because you could rush gp10 and head for an AP/bruiser/tank/beast late. With the removal of HoG you probably don't want to get this item until you have to because the CDR and Armor is still nice. In reality you probably won't need this item though, as is so much better for you and your top/jungle should get for its effects anyway. R.I.P.
Matchups Back to Top
Click on a champion below to see the author's notes on that particular matchup.
Diana OP? I think not. Focus on farming, and when the time is right you can go in for the kill. Is she poking you with her Q? You probably have the best sustain in-game, and she has to dive on you if she really wants to do anything. At this point you will simply silence+Q her, and feast on her precious body as she cannot escape your wrath.
A tricky lane, as is THE mid lane AP counter. You will be fine though, as long as you focus on farming until you get your armor up. Follow my instruction in the items section and you'll be fine. What, Talon's ult deals a lot of damage? Guess what, so does yours. Ask for ganks if you have to, but do this BEFORE you die. A fed can quickly turn a 1v2 to his favor if you're not cautious.
Pros & Cons Back to Top
- Good at all stages of the game
- Natural tankiness (sustain from passive, health from ultimate)
- Shut down individuals in teamfights
- Tons of damage with your full combo or just your ultimate
- Great siege/poke
- Extremely good for teamfights
- Countered by bruisers with sustain, not mages and other AP mids
- Hard to counterpick
- Easy to learn
- Fun to play
- Not an AP carry per se.
- Has to give up survivability for damage, which is why he is a beast top/jungle as well but has close to none-existant damage without his ultimate
- Cannot have top or jungle as you will be going mid
- Classic skin is one of the oldest models in-game and looks horrible at later stages
Early Game lvls 1-6 Back to Top
Farm, harass, zone, repeat. Do not get ganked as this will get you behind and you will have a really hard time later on. Poke your opponent with W as much as your mana goes, and save your Q for ganks. Don't push your lane at this point as it will only make you more vulnerable to ganks.
Mid Game lvls 6-15 Back to Top
At this point you should start stacking your ultimate. Feast on minions if you don't think you'll be able to combo down your opponent. Keep farming, but now you can also push because of the strength of your ultimate. Get your own or your opponents wraiths, and remember to ward. Now is also a good time to roam. Any kill you make roaming will help you and your friends at bottom lane a lot. You can dive bot lane if you want, but make sure your allies are ready for it, and you should bring your jungler with you as well. Do not try this too early if you think their mid and jungler is around, or if you're not ahead at this point.
Late Game lvls 16-18 Back to Top
I'm tempted to say this is where you shine as a carry, but unfortunately most of your strengths lie in your sustain early game, and your burst mid game. You are still strong, but you are relatively squishy so be sure to make it count when you in for a kill or to silence their AD/AP carry. At this point you or your AD carry should be relatively fed - both of which are good for you. Be sure not to die if you are doing most of the damage, though. Likewise, use your abilities on targets close to your AD carry if he is their target.
Who are you? Why Cho'Gath? Back to Top
My summoner name is D3q, and I play on EU west. I've been playing ranked Solo and Team 5v5 for a short while and even though I'm still learning I think that I've come a long way. In Solo 5v5 I'm just short of 1600 rating season 3, but with ~300 ranked wins under the belt I feel I'm definitely gold level in skill.
I never actually liked top lane, as I thought his Q was too hard, and that he was a boring champion without damage. The same applies to jungle . However, after watching a couple of pro players play him mid lane on streams and such, I wanted to give it a try. I was astonished by the result, and I figured this had to be one of the strongest mid laners for Solo 5v5 or for throwing off unsuspecting enemies.
At the start of preseason 3 I played a lot of mid. I hit an incredible W/L-ratio of 9-2 with him after a week, and people asked me to play top lane because they thought that's where lived. Eventually I started playing him in Team 5v5 too, and had a whopping 5-0 with him, getting my team to 1500 rating.