Play time's over...
Ahri Statistics for Hexadecimal
Author's performance with Ahri compared to the ranked average.
- Author Champion Statistics
- Guide Details
Summoner Spells Back to Top
Runes Back to Top
+1.34 magic resist Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
+1.33 health per level Greater Seal of Scaling Health
+4.95 ability power Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
+0.9 Armor Penetration / +0.62 Magic Penetration Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration
Flat ability Power
You take the flat ability power quints to increase the damage on your abilities. Not only does this increase your burst damage against enemy champions, but it also helps you clear minion waves faster since your spells will do more damage.
Flat Magic Resist
Ability Power per Level
Health per Level
Armor per Level
Masteries Back to Top
Offense - 21 points
- Sorcery is taken for the cooldown reduction
- Butcher is taken to unlock Feast - also has the added benefit of making last hitting slightly easier
- Feast is taken as it will help restore a lot of health and mana throughout the laning phase.
- Dangerous Game is taken as it's the only viable place for this mastery point for Ahri
- All other masteries I've taken in the offense tree are mandatory because of their usefulness and strength
Utility - 9 Points
- Phasewalker is taken to reduce the time it takes you to teleport to base - this can save you if you're backing in enemy territory.
- Meditation is taken for a small increase in mana regeneration during the laning phase
- Alchemist equates to an extra 10 hp for each Health Potion or Flask charge you consume
- Summoner's Insight will reduce the cooldown on your Summoner Spells by 10%, which is always good
- We take Culinary Master as it's extremely strong during the laning phase. Being able to instantly restore an additional 20 health and 10 mana on consumption can be the difference between living and dying.
Abilities Back to Top
> > >
Take charm first if you're invading or fighting at level 1. Always make sure to wait before you use your first skill point in case an invade happens.
- Your passive helps to increase your sustain
- Really starts to kick in once you have blue buff and start spamming your abilities
- Your bread and butter skill
- Try to hit it at its max range so that the enemy can't dodge it on its way back
- This is important to max so that you can wave clear fast and roam
- Does a lot of damage later on in the game once it's maxed
- It will prioritize champions over minions
- Your only form of crowd control
- You can use your ult to get very close to the enemy in order to land a point blank charm
- Once the skill is maxed it will taunt the enemy for 2 seconds, which is actually quite a long time
- This skill really defines Ahri
- Your ultimate will fire 3 bolts that damage the closest enemies - prioritizing champions
- You can use it to get over quite a few walls on Summoner's Rift
- You don't want to use this too early in team fights - it's important to use this not only to damage the enemy, but also to reposition yourself
Items Back to Top
- Gives you great sustain.
- It's a safe starting build that will help you stay in lane until you're level 6 in most matchups. The also helps regenerate mana, which is great since it will allow you to use your skills more often early on.
- You can buy 1 mana potion in place of 1 health potion if you feel you'll need the mana regeneration more.
Cloth Armor+5 pots
- Start this if you're against a strong AD Mid laner where you feel you struggle in the matchup
- Examples of strong AD Mid laners: Jayce, Kha'Zix, and Zed.
- The additional mana pot is to deal with the fact that you have no mana regeneration in your other starting items.
- This is a viable start when facing an opponent that won't harass you very much
- Gives you a stat advantage early that can help you bully the opponent in lane
- Ahri has built in sustain from her passive. This means that she doesn't need as much health regen as other laners. For this reason you will see high level players start with these items the majority of the time.
Best starting Trinket for mid laners. This will help you cover key choke points on the center of the map during the laning phase to help keep track of the enemy jungler. Try to place your ward around the 3:00-3:30 minute mark on the side the enemy jungler will be. This will be the standard timing most junglers have their double buffs and will be looking to gank you.
You want to swap this for the trinket at least by the time you're level 9. However, sometimes I will swap for the trinket as early as my first back. This all depends on if you're planning on roaming or not. If you're planning on roaming you want the trinket so that you can clear wards and increase your chances of not being seen when ganking.
- This will increase your damage while also giving you mana regneration and cooldown reduction
- The passive cuts healing in half, which can be effective against Vladimir or other champions that rely on spell vamp/health regeneration
- Get this when struggling in lane vs an AP mid
- The bonus MR from help deal with difficult lane match-ups such as Diana.
- The bonus Mana Regen from helps you spam your abilities more, which helps clear the wave faster and harass more.
- Rush an early when against any AD Mid Laner
- Examples of AD mid laners are: Talon, Pantheon, Kha'Zix, Zed, and Jayce.
Rushing Pure Damage
- This will give you the maximum amount of burst. This build somewhat replaces earlier season builds on Ahri where you would rush the now removed Deathfire Grasp.
- You only want to go this build when you are fed and have a lead. This is because if you're behind the Needlessly Large Rod will be difficult to save up for and complete.
- Also, make sure you are expecting blue buffs as this item leaves you with little mana regen.
- It's strong late game when death timers are so long one team fights can decide the outcome of the match. You definitely want to postpone this purchase until later on in the game, but it's great as a 5th or 6th item. The passive is amazing and increases your magic and armor resist allowing you to take more damage in team fights.
Matchups Back to Top
Click on a champion below to see the author's notes on that particular matchup.
- Very easy to deal with before she's level 6
- Once she's level 6 she has a ton of burst
- It's important to save your charm for when she engages on you
- Don't underestimate her burst
- You'll want to play passive once she's level 6
- Look to gank side lanes rather than win your lane
- Your mobility counters her skillshots
- Likely will turn into a farm lane
- Take advantage of Anivia's poor roaming and look to gank side lanes after shoving your lane
- Her burst can 100-0 you once she hits level 6
- Her stun counters the mobility of your ult and allows her to combo you
- You have to build in order to survive her burst
- Wave clear and roam/gank side lanes
- Her shield prevents you from bursting her down
- You can build a too if you're still worried about being bursted
- Cass has amazing poke and harass. She is especially strong once she hits level 2.
- It's important to play passive and dodge her harass and do NOT fight her when you're both level 2.
- Cass's ultimate somewhat counters your aggression. If you ult into her she will simply use her ult on you and burst her down. In order to avoid this you have to either bait out her ultimate, get a jungle ganks, or use your ultimate to roam side lanes.
- Unless you snowball heavily, it's usually safer to try to gank side lanes rather than outplay Cass mid lane.
- Very much a skill based matchup
- Most likely turn into a farm lane unless one of you snowballs
- He can kill you with his W+Q+R+Ignite combo once he's 6
- Lane is decided early on when you both hit level 6
- From there it will snowball into one person's favor or turn into a passive farm lane
- Only becomes difficult once she hits level 6
- Once she's level 6 if she lands a Q you will most likely be forced to ult or flash when she follows up
- Her shield makes it difficult for you to burst her down with your combo
- Dodge Qs and look to roam side lanes rather than kill Diana
- Your high range allows you to keep somewhat safe, but you have to be cautious of his aggression
- Save your charm for after he uses his E so that he can't dodge it
- It's important to dodge his ultimate! It's his biggest source of damage.
- Skill based matchup, but Ahri should be able to deal with Fizz
- The mobility from your ultimate counters his skill shot heavy kit
- You can force him to farm with his Q because of the harass from auto attacks and W
- If played right he shouldn't be able to kill you
- You can harass him early on with auto attacks before he's level 6
- He has annoying Q harass
- Once he's level 6 he has very annoying harass in his R+Q+W combo, which is difficult to deal with
- Try to land a charm as he ults into you
- Look to gank side lanes
- If he snowballs he becomes impossible to lane against
- Save your charm for when she shunpos to you
- You have decent early game harass with your auto attacks
- If played properly she shouldn't be able to kill you
- Can snowball heavily into a big advantage for one person
- This actually a somewhat easy lane if played right, but Kha'Zix can become a huge pain to deal with if he gets fed
- Your charm counters his aggression and allows you to create distance and kite while doing damage
- Your ultimate directly counters his leap since you can kite him once he's used it
- Make sure to follow him when he ganks or punish him by shoving the lane and taking tower
- Her high burst is a pain to deal with
- Her mobility makes it difficult to land skill shots
- You need to play passive, shove the lane when you can, and look to gank side lanes
- Mobility from your ultimate counters her skill shot heavy kit
- Squishy and easy to combo down
- You can still die if you get caught in her snare and get combod
- Lux's long range will allow her to farm safely with her E
- Don't try to force a kill if she's playing passive. Instead, look to gank side lanes.
- He has a ton of kill potential on you once you're level 6+
- You'll want to grab an early negatron cloak for an abyssal scepter, perhaps even build double doran's/rylai's after the abyssal scepter if you're still worried about being bursted down
- It's very important to harass malzahar down before you engage. You cannot win a 1vs1 if you're both at the same hp. You also can't win without items since his burst will be too much. You'll want to wait until you have at least a negatron cloak before engaging.
- Best to play safe in lane and gank side lanes
- He will have very annoying harass with his Q
- His heal will make it difficult for you to win trades early on
- Save your charm for when he uses meditate rather than trying to catch him with it
- Be aware that when there's only 3 minions his Q will hit you 100% of the time since it hits 4 enemies.
- This is a fairly passive lane with Master Yi having the harass advantage in lane
- The mobility from your ultimate counters her ultimate
- Usually turns into a farm lane
- Still, if you get caught in her one of her Qs once she's 6 there's a good chance you will die
- Skill based match up
- Orianna has good early game damage, which counters your mediocre early game
- Can outplay her once you're level 6
- Your charm can counter his aggression and let you kite and win trades
- He has a massive amount of burst and it's important to use your charm to interrupt his E
- His Q harass can be quite annoying
- Make sure to follow him when he ganks or punish him by shoving the lane and taking tower
- His Q harass can push you out of lane
- His W is a soft counter to the mobility that comes from your ultimate
- Scales harder than you late game
- Early on, before Ryze gets tanky items, you can outplay him and kill him
- After he gets tanky you can no longer win fights
- At that point shove your lave and gank side lanes
- Really annoying lane harass that can force you out of lane
- His lifesteal and tankiness that comes from his item build counters your burst
- Can only kill him if you snowball
- Best strategy is to wave clear and then roam/gank side lanes when your ultimate is up
- Talon somewhat counters you with his 1 second silence and high burst, but can be dealt with when played right
- Your charm allows you to create distance and kite him if he uses his E to gap close onto you
- You have to be very caution of his burst once he's level 6+
- If Talon gets fed he will likely become a pain to deal with
- A skill based matchup that Ahri should be able to deal with
- Very easy to kite him once he uses his E using your ultimate
- Squishy and easy to assassinate
- Has no escapes
- TF will likely just farm safely with his Q and look to gank side lanes with his ultimate
- If he ults a side lane to gank then look to see if you can follow to counter gank and clean up
- Really annoying harass in lane
- Will most likely snowball into a big advantage for one of you
- You will either have kill potential on him or will be forced to passively farm and gank side lanes
- Before level 6 he can have annoying harass, which is important to dodge
- Once you're level 6 your ultimate is a direct counter to his ultimate
- Ahri is one of the best counters to Xerath as he's a skill shot heavy champion and Ahri's ultimate makes it easy to dodge them
- You can look to go aggressive once you're level 6+ just make sure to land your charm and to dodge his kill shots
- A good Zed player can be quite the pain to deal with
- He has a large amount of burst at level 6 if he lands all his skills with his ultimate
- He has very annoying harass that he can spam since he doesn't use mana
- Both of you have such high range it should be a safe farm lane
- Ziggs does have very annoying poke/harass and very good wave clearing
- The mobility from your ultimate completely counters Ziggs. Ziggs is a skill shot based champion and you should be able to dodge them and completely burst him down.
- You have great wave clearing and poke which helps deal with Ziggs' wave clearing and poke.
- The mobility from your ultimate counters all her skill shots
- She's squishy and easy to assassinate
- That being said, she can still kill you if you get caught in her snare
Early Game Back to Top
Focus on last hitting until level 3. Once level 3+ you can try to harass with Q, but be careful of pushing the lane with it. Make sure to manage mana properly. Your kill potential comes once you're level 6+. I prefer to play passive until 6 and focus on manipulating the minion wave close to my tower to set up for a jungler gank. You can play aggressive in certain match ups through auto attack harass if they're melee.
Middle Game Back to Top
Middle Game is when you become your strongest. Set up kills in your lane with your taunt/ultimate. Push your lane and then roam when your ultimate is up. Ahri's one of the best roamers in the game because of her ultimate. Pay attention to the map for an enemy overextending. When a fight breaks out in a side lane immediately move towards it as you will often clean up when the fight ends and get there before the enemy mid laner. Your goal in the mid game is to snowball yourself and your allies before the laning phase ends. This is because Ahri isn't exactly the greatest team fighter so it's important to play to your strengths.
Late Game Back to Top
In the late game Ahri is all about picking people off and catching people. Pay attention to the map and try to predict where the squishy enemy carries are rotating to. If you see one of them by themselves try to make a pick and quickly assassinate them. However, always pay attention to how people are reacting as you're moving through the jungle trying to make a pick. You could be spotted in a ward and then enemy will just collapse on you. If you aren't able to make picks and instead are team fighting you can try to come from an angle or behind the enemy carries as the fight starts. You can do this by moving through the fog of war and waiting for the team fight to start then come from behind the carries and get into the back line.
Team Fighting Back to Top
Ahri's team fight is highly dependent on landing her Charm. In most cases you're looking to assassinate the enemy carries. You want to pay attention to the enemy's abilities. If the enemy uses important crowd control abilities or one of their escape abilities then that's your signal to go in and try to assassinate them. Never go in too early. Be patient and way for the right opportunity. Before a fight starts always be checking the enemy's items. If the enemy carries have Banshee's Veils and they have an exhaust or two on their team then it might be better for you to stay back and peel for your AD Carry rather than try to dive them.
Pros and Cons Back to Top
- Amazing mobility with her ultimate
- High kill potential in lane against squishy champions
- Good wave clearing
- Great roaming/ganks because of her ultimate
- Difficult to gank Ahri when her ultimate is up
- Skill shot heavy champion
- Her damage falls off late game because of mediocre AP scaling
- Lacks AOE crowd control
Warding Spots Back to Top
1 - This is a typical spot to ward on the top side. You will want to put a trinket or green ward around this area. This will cover the "ramp" a key choke point most junglers and mid laners will have to go through if they want to rotate towards the top side of the map.
2 - This is a more aggressive ward and is known as the "wraith ward". Arguably one of the best warding spots in the game. By having vision of when their jungler does wraiths you relieve pressure off the map and allow your teammates to play more aggressive in their lanes since they won't have to worry about being ganked. You will also be able to see where the jungler goes after he finishes wraiths, which creates a ton of opportunities such as counter-ganking him, timing a dragon or buff steal if he heads top, and can save your teammates from being ganked since you will know where the jungler is heading.
3 - This is the small "island" brush just below the ramp in the river. You will want to purchase a pink ward and put it here ASAP. This will cover the ramp area which is a key choke point junglers and mid laners will rotate through to gank bot lane or invade your red. By putting a pink ward in the brush often the enemy will walk past it without checking the brush. This will result in the ward surviving for a very long time - making it a very efficient purchase.
4 - This is a passive place to put your pink ward. It's in the brush just above your red buff. You will want to put your pink ward here when you feel that a pink ward in spot 3 will be cleared out too fast.
1 - This is the small "island" brush just below the ramp in the river. You will want to purchase a pink ward and put it here ASAP. This will cover the ramp area which is a key choke point junglers and mid laners will rotate through to gank bot lane or invade your red. By putting a pink ward in the brush often the enemy will walk past it without checking the brush. This will result in the ward surviving for a very long time - making it a very efficient purchase.
2 - This is a passive place to put your pink ward. It's known as the "banana brush" because in earlier seasons it was in the shape of a banana. You will want to put your pink ward here when you feel that a pink ward in spot 1 will be cleared out too fast.
3 - This is a more aggressive ward and is known as the "wraith ward". Arguably one of the best warding spots in the game. By having vision of when their jungler does wraiths you relieve pressure off the map and allow your teammates to play more aggressive in their lanes since they won't have to worry about being ganked. You will also be able to see where the jungler goes after he finishes wraiths, which creates a ton of opportunities such as counter-ganking him, timing a dragon or buff steal if he heads top, and can save your teammates from being ganked since you will know where the jungler is heading.
4 - This is a typical spot to ward on the top side. You will want to put a trinket or green ward around this area. This will cover the "ramp" a key choke point most junglers and mid laners will have to go through if they want to rotate towards the top side of the map.
About Me & Coaching Back to Top
My IGN is
Hexadecimal and I play on the North American server. I've been
challenger tier every season since its release. I can play all roles,
but I main middle lane.
If you have any questions or would like to know when I stream you can follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/LoLHexa
I also offer coaching for $25 an hour. I will teach you how to become a better player, how to climb the ladder system, and much more. If you're interested you can contact me via e-mail: email@example.com