Marksmen are having a hard time on Summoner's Rift right now. Here's why.
- Everyone's afraid of Shen (North America is afraid of Twisted Fate and Europe West is afraid of Karthus as well), proving why global ultimates are being nerfed next patch. Split pushing is hard to counter at any elo in a PUG situation.
- Alistar is known as one of the better supports and junglers, and as supports like Janna and Soraka get hit with nerf after nerf, he only gets stronger in bot lane and banned more. Plus you can't milk those--nor can you gank him easily, he's the king of zoning and protecting his AD carry from early aggression. It is worth noting that our champion popularity charts show him and Soraka neck in neck for popularity contests, but she's not banned out like he is. She's a lot easier to counter, though, and arguably not quite as useful in a team fight where Alistar's CC reigns supreme.
- June's MLG was a tournament where Malphite top became mainstream. The bans reflect that: every region is trending toward banning him out. No top laner wants to deal with him and no AD carry wants to experience a Malphite sticking to them on a fight.
- Morgana is a popular ban for all regions, but especially in Nordic East where she's the #1 ban, eclipsing even Shen. She's been an easy ban in any elo for a long time now; her ultimate is devastating in team fights especially combined with Zhonya's Hourglass. It doesn't hurt that she's an extremely good farmer and hard to gank.
- Speaking of AP mids, Ahri is a champion that's been consistently strong since her release. Though she's seen slight nerfs multiple times, her ability to escape ganks with her ultimate is tremendous and so is her damage output in teamfights. She also wins most match ups--or at least goes even--and is less counterable than some APs tend to be.
- Everyone's afraid of Nautilus. He looked deceptively weak on release, not being too popular, and then everyone learned how to play him. His ganks are almost guaranteed kills if he can land a hook and his ultimate is great for disrupting the enemy in team fights as well as catching a person out of place.
- Lastly, no region wants to deal with Darius. His ultimate is strong and he's a champion prone to snowballing. He's useless when he's not fed, but that rarely happens. Top lane is notorious for tilting hard in the other team's favor once one of the laners gets a kill--especially when that kill goes to a Darius--and that may be why Darius is being banned out.